- BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Many years now, there has been poor Management appraisal system, it has been found out to be primary cause of morale and turnover problems. These problems tends to hinder the success of appraisal system which are as follows:-
Due to performance appraisal forms are not relevant and ambiguity in rating scales, and also managers fails to realize that the performance appraisal is for the benefit of the employee/workers.
Performance appraisal is a major subject of controversy in management circles. One of the responsibilities of management is to ensure that an organization function effectively and efficiently.
In order to achieve these goals, managers must be able to determine the assess performance levels of both an organization and its individual employees (Kurt 2004).
What Does The Term Performance Actually Mean?
Employees are performing well when they are productive. Productivity implies both concern for effectiveness and efficiency, effectiveness refers to a goal accomplished.
However it does not speak of the costs incurred in reaching the goal. That is where efficiency comes in. efficiency evaluates the ratio of inputs consumed to outputs achieved.
Additionally, productivity as measured in terms of effectiveness and efficiency, performance also includes personal data such as measures of accidents, turnover, absences and tardiness. That is a good employee is one who not only performs well in terms of productivity but also minimizes problems for the organization by being to work on time, by not missing days, and by minimizing the number of work-related accidents.
What does Appraisal actually means?
Appraisal are judgment of characteristics, traits and performance of others. On the basis of these judgments we assess the worth or value of others and identify what is good or bad. Appraisals are essential for making many administrative decisions: selection, training, promotion, transfer, wage and salary administration etc.
Therefore, performance Appraisal thus is a systematic and objective way of judging the relative worth of ability of an employee in performing his task. Performance Appraisal helps to identify those who are performing their assigned task well and those who are not and the reason for such performance.
Conducting performance appraisals on employee’s performance should be more than a simple check list of Do’s and Don’ts.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
Over the years, there have been poor managerial appraisal system of the performance of Health Information personnel and this have been found to be the greatest cause of morale and turnover problems.
Performance Appraisal provides a good opportunity to formally recognize employees’ achievements and contribution. When the evaluation system is poor, it will not give adequate effect. Rater’s problems like leniency or harshness error, central tendency error, personal bias error, contrast error are also affecting the performance appraisal of an employee (Rasch 2004).
There have been problem existing in appraising the performance of Health Information personnels due to the performance Appraisal forms are not relevant and ambiguity in rating scales.
Due to the rates or capacity of ill-equipped managers, a lot of problems have manifested in the hospital, because the managers uses misguided performance Appraisal to point out flaws and most often places exclusive blame on the employees.
1.3 Objective of the Study
The general objective of the study was to assess the effectiveness of the performance appraisal of Health Information Personnel in Abia State University Teaching Hospital, Aba.
An effective performance Appraisal programme would assist an organization to achieve its goals and objectives. It would lead to enhanced communication, Health Information Management Personnel development, improve their morale and help to identify training needs. A well developed staff is more likely to be giving accurate information of his/her patient, he/she ought to be proactive, productive and resourceful.
1.4. SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
- To find out the impact performance appraisal to Health Information personnels.
- To measure Health Information Personnel’s understanding of the objectives of the Appraisal system its process and procedures at ABSUTH.
- To find out how the performance Appraisal system has been able to identify Health Information Personnel employees’ strengths, weakness and programmes put in place to address weaknesses and reward performance.
- To find out whether the appraisal system at Abia State University Teaching Hospital is achieving the objectives.
- To find out the suitable methods that will help the managers to appraise the performance of their subordinates.
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTION
- What factors affects the Performance Appraisal of Health Information personnel? In ABSUTH Aba.?
- What strategies promote the effectiveness of performance appraisal of health information personnel in ABSUTH?
- What are the benefits of performance appraisal to Health Information personnel and employees?
- Are there impacts of performance appraisal to the Health Information personnel?
- What are the suitable methods of performance appraisal?
1.6 Scope of Study
This study focuses on performance Appraisal of health information personnel in Abia State University Teaching Hospital, Aba.
1.7 Significance of the Study
The study of performance appraisal are important to these various groups:-
- To Health Information Personnel:– Performance Appraisal help the personnel of health information to evaluate and measure the employee’s working behavior and achievement through the systematic methods and principal. It is also an importance activity for managers to communicate with their employees.
- The Hospital:- Performance appraisal system helps to build the hospital’s target, promoting the hospital profitability and comprehensive strength of the workers and also making the manager/personnel and employees to play their full role.
- The Employee of an Organization:-
- Performance Feedback:- Most employee are very interested in knowing how well they are doing at present and how they can do better in future. They want this information to improve their performance in order to get promotion and merit pay.
- Employee Training And Development Decision:- Performance Appraisal information is used to find out whether an employee requires additional training and development. Deficiencies in performance may be due to inadequate knowledge or skill.
- Promotion:- Performance Appraisal is a way of finding out which employee should be given a promotion past appraisals, together with other background data, will enable management to select proper persons for promotion.
iv. The Nurse:- It helps to improve nurse working performance, satisfaction, future sense of achievements and also helps them to realize their organizational objectives.
1.8 Operational Definition of Terms
In order to effectively understand the performance Appraisal meaning of the relevant terms used in this study must be defined. They are as follows Performance, Appraisal, Health, Information, Managers, Personnel, Employee, Health Information Management Professional and ABSUTH.
PERFORMANCE: This is the execution of an action or it can also be said that performance is the accomplishment of a given task measured against preset known standards of accuracy, completeness, cost and speed.
APPRAISAL: This is an act of assessing someone or something.
HEALTH: According to the World Health Organization (WHO). It is a state of complete physical, mental and social well being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. According to Oxford Advanced learners Dictionary Health can be defined as a state of being physically and mentally healthy or the condition of a person’s body or mind.
INFORMATION: Information is a stimuli that has meaning in some context for its receiver or facts about a situation, person, event etc.
MANAGER: A manager is a person responsible for planning and directing the work of a group of individuals, monitoring their work and taking corrective action when necessary.
PERSONNEL: A body of persons employed in an organization or place of work.
EMPLOYEE: Employee is anyone who has agreed to be employed, under a contract of service to work for some form of payment. This can include wages, salary, commission and piece rates.
HEALTH INFORMATION MANAGEMENT PROFESSIONAL: Are experts in the field of patient Health Information and medical records.
ABSUTH:– Abia State University Teaching Hospital, Aba.
WHO: World Health Organization. ��P��P����^
To go back to to the previous page click here: