This is the detailed statement of the activities involved in carrying out a specific job.
A typical job description covers the following:
- Job Title.
- Place or location of the job on the organizational structure or hierarchy.
- Objective(s) purpose of the job and its relationships with overall company objectives.
- Supervisors to which the job occupant reports to and the subordinates who report to the job occupant.
- Duties or responsibilities attached to the job.
- Pertinent factors which influences performance of the job such as machines and equipment used, working conditions constraints, hazards etc.
Job description helps to establish the relationship between the job and other jobs. It also provides a summary of duties and responsibilities attached to the job.
A simple sample of a job description is provided in fig. 11– 1.